Sunday, December 11, 2011

Consumer Warning: Walmart Visa Gift Cards

The other night, I had to go to Walmart to buy some odds and ends.  Truth be told, if I didn't have to shop at Walmart, I would be happy.  Unfortunately, I live in a small town and Walmart is the most convenient place.

Typically, I purchase Target Visa Gift Cards for friends and family.  I purchase the $25.00 card with a $4.00 activation fee.  I don't mind the activation fee.  I'd rather not give friends and family a card they can only use at Target.  What if they don't shop at Target?  What if they don't have a Target near?  It keeps things simple.  They can go wherever they want.

Anyhow, it was late.  I needed to pick up groceries that I knew our Target didn't have and I didn't want to make two trips.  I was sending gifts to a friend in another state and was extremely happy when I saw Walmart sold their own proprietary Walmart Visa Gift Cards.  Looked on the front.  Had a cheaper activation fee than Target.  Win-win situation.

I get up to the register and I always put cards and gift cards at the very end.  The cashier looks up and tells me, "You know you have to pay cash or check for those right?"

I look at her confused and said, "Excuse me?  Are you serious?  You can't be serious.  I purchase these on my debit card all the time from Target.  They don't require that I pay cash or check."

Then she says, "Yeah.  And I have to ring them up in separate transactions."

I just handed them to her and said, "Never mind then.  If your company doesn't want my money, I'll let Target have it."

So -- I came to two conclusions.  Either this cashier is correct and you cannot purchase the normal, run of the mill gift cards with anything other than cash, or she didn't take the time to look at the card and realize it wasn't a Walmart Money Card.  Those are those cards that you can set up direct deposit to and use like a credit/debit card without having a bank account.

Anyhow, consumer beware.  I have a cousin who works at Walmart and when she responds, I'll let you know if the cashier was wrong or the policy is true.  Either way, Walmart lost hundreds of dollars of business to Target that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment