Thursday, January 26, 2012

Makeup Review: Maybelline New York Color Tattoo by Eyestudio

I was shopping in Walgreens when this new Maybelline display caught my eye.  It was a display with bold cream shadows in glass pots. The display picture had the model in a bright, sparkly teal. To read more about this product, visit their website. I was able to curb the temptation, but ended up purchasing a pot from Target.  I purchased #30 - Pomegranate Punk.

The Highlights:
  • Long lasting
  • Blends well
  • Creamy texture
  • Reasonably priced - I paid $6.99 at Target
  • Probably will NOT purchase more
First, I will apologize for not having enough pictures. It is something I will try to remember when I intend to review something. 

I woke up for work and decided to give the 24 hour Color Tattoo the 10 hour work day trial. I applied the Pomegranate Punk with a brush. I will admit, I think it is pretty gross to shove your fingers in makeup. I tend to avoid makeup in pots for hygienic reasons. Anyhow, I kept my look simple. I applied it to the entire lid and blended a matte flesh colored highlight downward. I did blend with my fingertip. Blending with a brush was nearly impossible. The brush would catch on the texture of the shadow. My hands were thoroughly washed before blending. Sorry, I have no pictures.

Overall, my impression is negative.

The positive - This eye shadow is long lasting. I do think it will live up to its 24 claim, but more opinion on that to follow. The product was easy to apply. It had good texture. It can be used as a liner. The price is right. Other beauty bloggers, which I am not, is claiming this product as a MAC paint pot dupe. I can't say whether it is or isn't. Besides price, value, and lasting wear -- I can't really like this product.

My first complaint was the color. When I flip my jar over, I see this beautiful plum color with shimmer. When I applied the shadow, it was more brown. This could be my skin tone. It could be a million other factors. I can certainly say, it was not the color I see at the bottom of the jar.





The swatch - As you can see, when I applied the cream shadow on top of Shadow Insurance, it really pronounced the sparkle in the shadow. It almost has a gold sheen. I had to apply A LOT to get this color. It wasn't picking up the plum color. Without Shadow Insurance, the color is very brown, not plum. This is what I had on my eyelids. Not the rich plum, purple hue of a pomegranate.  Again, I had to apply a ton of product to get this dark color. I don't think you should have to apply supporting shadow to get the color you want. I fear this product is no more than a colored base.

I have never tried a cream shadow, and I am fairly certain I will probably not purchase another. I had to build the color very heavily to get the color coverage to match what was staring at me in the jar. I could feel the weight on my lids. It wasn't like taping quarters to my eyelids, but there was a weight difference in comparison to mineral shadows.

This is NOT a solution for oily lids. I have oily lids and I can say by the end of my work day, there was a change in consistency, and color. The shimmer had disappeared. I am sure I could have applied a primer, but I see no point in adding more weight to my lids. I felt this shadow all day. Especially when I blinked. I am sure this could be solved by a lighter application and more blending; however, we purchase certain bold colors to be bold. It was my experience that in order to achieve the somewhat plum color, I really had to cake it on.

24 Hour Claim - As mentioned earlier, I think this product will last 24 hours and not budge. Honestly, I don't see why you would need this to last 24 hours. It seems a bit ridiculous to me. This will NOT come off with soap and water if used directly on the skin. The shadow over primer came off by 75%. The only way this could be removed effectively is with makeup remover and/or makeup removing cloths. I have cloths and the shadow came off with a bit of scrubbing.

I think overall, I am just not a fan of cream/pot shadows. This might be the bigger issue and this may be an unfair review. There are some positives, but I don't see this being a part of my makeup routine. If you're looking for a long lasting product, this is for you. Honestly, I would rather stick to primers and loose mineral shadows.




No comments:

Post a Comment