Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Bath and Body Review: DERMADoctor's Ain't Misbehavin

I've been using DERMADoctor's Ain't Misbehavin Medicated AHA/BHA Acne Cleanser. Click the link to read the details about this product.

The Highlights:

  • $25.00 for a 7 ounce tube (will last 4-6 months)
  • Applied to dry skin
  • Non-comedogenic
  • Soap, oil, fragrance and dye-free
  • Overall impression - Best cleanser for my type of skin

About six months ago, I walked into a Sephora and was browsing. I had no makeup on at the time because my face was broken out and I was trying to keep from causing more issues. A consultant walked up to me and said, "I noticed your face is pretty broken out. We have a product that I think will help you so much." She proceeded to say, "It appears to me that you have oily skin, right?" I told her yes. She asked me what I was using. I told her I was using the ProActiv system. She kind of cringed and said, "You know that is really harsh on your skin, right? That is why it works for the first few months and then you start having other issues." Man, this lady knew what she was talking about.

She proceeded to take me to the DERMADoctor line of products and squeezed me out a large sample of the Ain't Misbehavin. She told me to apply it to dry skin and that I wouldn't need a toner. I was very skeptical, but she said, "I promise. You'll come back next weekend and purchase a full bottle. Don't balk at the price. This bottle will last 4-6 months. Do the math. $30 a month for ProActiv vs. $25 for ONE product that will replace that system that will last a few months. Just give it a shot."

Here I am, six months later, and I just completed my first bottle.

What you need to know: This product is NOT for all skin types. As I did my research (reading multiple reviews on multiple sites), it amazes me how people can't read a simple label before purchasing something. This is my plea: Do not review something that was clearly NOT meant for you. The bottle clearly states, "...for oily, blemish-prone, or combination skin." If you do not have oily, blemish-prone, or combination skin -- DO NOT PURCHASE. I read one review that gave it one star and said, "Completely dried my skin out! Worst product ever!" Then I read her stats and she listed her skin type as dry. Seriously? Ok, jumping down from my soap box.

I have oily skin that breaks out pretty severely. By the end of the day, I look like I slaved a shift at the local fast food joint. With continued, uninterrupted use of this product, and a combination of makeup better suited for my skin, I no longer have this issue. If you don't have this problem, this product is NOT for you. It is meant for oily skin and acne caused by excessive oils. In my opinion, this product is best suited for those of us with overactive sweat/oil glands.

The product doesn't necessarily smell good. I don't quite understand why people complain about smell. It is a medicated product. Not everything can smell like roses. It is creamy in texture. It has the consistency of thick moisturizer or lotion. I don't think it smells bad, but it isn't pleasant either.

At first, the product will sting. Do not let this deter you. It contains witch hazel which is an anti-septic.  My face was pretty bad. Sorry, I don't have pictures. I didn't think of it at the time. Think cystic acne. Not just whiteheads or blackheads. My skin produces these massive whelps that were very painful. The sting hung around for maybe two weeks. Just like alcohol on a wound, it is killing any bacteria you have on your face. I did have slight redness for the first week, but the consultant assured me that I should stick with it for at least a month before throwing in the towel.

My skin care routine: First, remove any makeup prior to using. I am STILL amazed at how many women are too lazy to remove their makeup prior to their skin ritual. Read my words: NO SINGLE PRODUCT removes everything. While I was told this would remove makeup RESIDUE, this is clearly an ACNE CLEANSER. Again, if you read the bottle BEFORE purchasing, no where does it state it is a "makeup remover". It is a cleanser which will remove the trace elements of makeup residue. Use the product as intended, people, and you will have better results. I use cheap, off-brand makeup wipes that I get from the grocery store. They are good enough to remove my eye makeup and most of my foundation, and best of all, they're cost effective. I think I pay $3 for 50 wipes.

Second, allow your skin to completely dry before apply Ain't Misbehavin. I was told that applying to wet skin decreases the effectiveness of the medication. I know it seems weird to apply a creamy cleanser to dry skin, but it works! Apply in a circular motion.

Lastly, remove the cleanser. I use a warm washcloth to GENTLY wipe the cleanser off. Remember, ladies. Your skin is delicate. I have seen friends scrub their faces with a washcloth. Here is a hint: Your face isn't a counter top. Don't treat it as one! GENTLY wipe the cleanser off or just rinse it off with water. Sometimes, I turn my shower on, apply the cleansers, and then hop in the shower and rinse it off in there.

The results: Again, I've used one complete bottle of this product. I use it twice a day. My skin has never been better. I still have breakouts, but those are normally hormone-based. Nothing you can really do about those. The good news is, they heal quicker than with any other product. Like any facial product, you must maintain a routine. This product is cost effective and it works. Bottom line: My favorite acne cleanser of all time.


No comments:

Post a Comment