Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Makeup Review: Sephora Collection Ultra Shine Lip Gloss

First of all, I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season. I can honestly say that I am glad it is over and done with. No, I am not that much of a Grinch, but for reasons I can't share, it was a very depressing holiday and I exerted a lot of energy into trying to find the bittersweet happiness in it all.

I was able to spend a little time in Sephora yesterday.  I have had my eye on a tube of Sephora Collection Ultra Shine Lip Gloss for awhile.  In fact, all of their glosses are tempting, however, I have a big problem.  I buy gloss and I end up not using it.  Same goes with lipstick.  I have a weird skin tone that rules out the pretty soft colors.  They just don't show on my lips.  The tones that compliment my skin tone often don't translate on my darker lips.  I don't like being all up in your face with red lipstick all the time.  I feel like I am always shoved into bold, dark colors when it comes to lip wear.

The Highlights:

  • Stickiness Factor - Very well-balanced.
  • Thickness Factor - Very well-balanced.
  • Stay Factor - Typical for a gloss.
  • Color selection - Wonderful
  • Price - $14.00 for a .13 ounce hard, clear tube with hourglass wand

With that said, I had Christmas money and told myself I would give Sephora Collection Ultra Shine Lip Gloss in Cherry Red a try.  The $14.00 price tag always makes me cringe, but in comparison to a tube of Fresh Sugar, it is a steal.  It comes with this odd hourglass shaped wand, but it is easy to get used to.  After playing with it a few times, I actually like it better than the traditional brushes.  It picks up quite a bit of gloss and I had even application.

What Sephora claims: "A maximum-shine, moisturizing gloss starring a new generation of 'multi-holographic' shimmers, for perfect light reflection."  Sephora goes on to describe this gloss as achieving a wet look with elegant luster, and a jewel-like finish.

Does it live it to the claim?  I think it does.  This is the first lip gloss in a LONG time that I actually like.  It is not thick and gooey like so many high performance glosses are.  I do not like having a thick layer of gloss on my lips to achieve color.  One layer of Cherry Red and I have this beautiful red color.  It is very well balanced in my opinion.  It has some weight to it, but not so thick the wand suctions inside the tube. I think the stickiness is well balanced as well.  It didn't glue my lips together, but there was a hint of tackiness.  Just enough to let you know it is still there.  I do NOT like a watery gloss. It does appear wet for about the first hour of wear and then fades.  As the day went on, I had these nicely stained and moisturized lips.  I did not get, what I call, a sloughed mess.  I'm not sure what the beauty term for it is, but it is when you wear a lipstick or gloss and after a few hours, the color has rolled into little balls on your lips.  This effect is generally seen with cheap lipsticks.  It did not do this.  I was really happy with the stained effect.  I did not use a liner and it did feather a little bit.  You might want to watch out for that.

I've read some reviews complaining of having to re-apply often.  This gloss does NOT advertise all day wear.  I noticed, like any gloss, it had to be re-applied after 2-4 hours to keep that wet look.  My lips still had product on it, but it obviously was not as fresh looking BUT still moisturized.  I've read reviews bashing the gloss because it wipes off/kisses off/comes off on coffee cups.  This is true, but again.  This gloss does NOT advertise that it is a miracle product.  It is a gloss and it will come off.  If you need it to last all day and not come off on everything, find a different product.


Overall, I am very pleased with this product.  I'm wearing the Cherry Red in the picture above.  I will purchase it again.  There are a few other reds that I am interested in and a few of their new colors look awesome as well.





No comments:

Post a Comment