Saturday, August 13, 2011

Makeup Review - Sephora 12h Jumbo Crayon in White

On Thursday, I bought my first bottle of Make Up For Ever foundation that I reviewed yesterday.  Along with my MUFE, I bought a Sephora 12h waterproof Jumbo Crayon Liner in White.



According to the website:
These jumbo pencils create a range of effects, from bold lines and blended effects to thin, defined lines. Resistant to water, heat, and humidity, their creamy, high-pigment formulas apply smoothly. From deep blacks to rich and shimmery shades, each is formulated with exclusive waxes and pigments to assure maximum color intensity that stays put for 12-hours.
What I love:

It lives up to the claims.  I live in Texas and it outlasted the 100 degree weather.  I applied this pencil to my arm and ran it under water.  This crayon was going NOWHERE.  I rubbed it.  This crayon did not wipe off.  I can see these pencils being a must-have to woman that love to go out to the clubs.  It is highly pigmented and stays put.  It does apply smoothly and blends.  I purchased the white crayon and it was a very bright, shimmery pigment.  I love the lasting power and guaranteed to stay where you put it.

What I could live without:

Be VERY careful in application.  When I was swatching on my arm, I noticed that when you attempt to heavily apply the crayon, it tends to bunch up in areas and the product becomes uneven.  I suppose you can bypass this by blending in each layer before adding more.  I really wish this crayon came in a matte option.  This is very shimmery, almost silky looking.

The final verdict:

I originally purchased this pencil due to recommendations of using white crayons as a base for high pigment/glittery loose powders.  The NYX pencil in Milk is highly recommended on many Indie sites.  I figured this pencil would do just as well.


Displayed here is Facebomb Cosmetics' loose pigment in, "Pumpkin Tits."  It is a pumpkin orange pigment with purple speck of glitter.  On the far left, I used my favorite product - Two Faced's Shadow Insurance Glitter Glue.  In the middle, I applied directly to my arm.  On the right, I used the Sephora Jumbo Liner in White as a base.

My opinion:  The cheapest option of using a white jumbo liner/crayon is not my favorite idea.  In my opinion, the glitter glue is the closest to the intended shade AND was the only base/primer that continued to show that this pigment has purple glitter.  If you look at the pictures very closely, you will see specks of purple glitter.  Obviously, without a base/primer, you can't really see any shimmer.  Using the jumbo liner, you just get a "foiled" effect.  You can achieve this with a normal primer and wetting your brush.  You don't NEED that extra step.  While it is better than the alternative, I don't like that the glitter becomes an afterthought.  If you want to do that, then just don't bother with a glittered pigment.  You can achieve that look with a dampened application brush and normal compacted pigments.  If you are going to purchase loose glittery pigments, go with the Glitter Glue.  You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment