Sunday, September 4, 2011

Recipe Review: Pioneer Woman's Lemon Blueberry Pancakes

After watching the second episode of The Pioneer Woman's cooking show, the family wanted to try out the lemon blueberry pancakes she made for her son's 7th birthday.

You can find the recipe at her website or on Food Network.

The cons:

The batter was way too thin for my liking, but in the interest of making the recipe AS INTENDED, I did not thicken it.

The pros:

Our family loved it.  The ratio blueberries was perfect for us.  Each scoop of batter yielded about 4-5 blueberries a pancake which is perfect for our family.  We don't enjoy over-doing the fruit in the batter.  As I mentioned, the batter was pretty thin.  This made a crepe-like batter that was actually delightful.  They weren't heavy and sitting like bricks in our stomach.  Instead of syrup, I made a blueberry compote.  I put the remainder of the blueberries in a saucepan with some water and sugar.  No, I didn't measure.  I put enough water up to the top of the berries, but not covering.  I put maybe 1/2 cup of sugar.  I also added the juice of 1/2 lemon.  I let it simmer until most of the liquid evaporated and thickened it up with some cornstarch slurry.  It was almost like a pie filling.  The combination was amazing.  The lemon in the batter wasn't overpowering at all.  It was a nice surprise in the batter.

The verdict:

I will most definitely keep this recipe for special events and weekend meals.  I think I will decrease the amount of liquid to make it less runny and a little less crepe like.  Overall, it is probably my favorite blueberry pancake recipe.  I don't like going "fruit overboard" and this recipe doesn't go all out.



No comments:

Post a Comment