Saturday, September 17, 2011

Business Review: Galaxy Cupcakes

Our family moved to Georgetown around the same time Galaxy Cupcakes made its transition from their old location to their new location.  I remember waiting in anticipation to try their cupcakes.  I love the idea of a cupcakery.  I don't mind paying for one cupcake and not have the daunting task of eating the rest of the dozen. Recently, they have made the transition to a full bakery and are now called Galaxy Bakery and CoffeeHouse.


Today, on a whim, we decided to visit the bakery and try their other confections that were not part of the menu when we first became patrons.  We purchased cupcakes in Red Velvet, Cookies & Cream, and Peanut Butter.  They added mini cheesecakes to their lineup, so I picked a Chocolate Cheesecake mini and Casey tried their cannoli.

THE VERDICT:  RED VELVET CUPCAKE


The cupcake was moist and not overly large.  I don't understand the mentality of the "jumbo" cupcake.  I appreciate that they are normal sized cupcakes.  The icing was your basic cream cheese.  No complaints here.  When it comes to comparing cupcakes, I am not an expert.  I can tell you that it wasn't horrible.  I have had better cream cheese icing.  They have a very sweet cream cheese icing.  I could do with more cream cheese flavor and less in-your-face sugar.  Overall, I love their cupcakes.

THE VERDICT: COOKIES & CREAM CUPCAKE

  
My son had the Cookies & Cream cupcake.  He said, "I definitely did taste the cookies and cream and the cookie on top is a cute addition.  My first thought was 'OMG! There's ice cream on this cupcake!'  But when I took a bite into it, there was this awesome flavor.  The cake part was pretty good.  I give it four out of five stars.  It was a little dry.  The icing was amazing."

THE VERDICT:  MINI CHOCOLATE AND PEANUT BUTTER CUPCAKE


My son also had the mini peanut butter cupcake.  He states, "I'd have to say I barely tasted the peanut butter.  The candy on top was a very cute addition.  The cupcake was very moist.  I give it a 5 out of 5 stars."

THE VERDICT:  CANNOLI


Casey had the cannoli.  He states, "It was a perfect mini cannoli."  Wish I could elaborate more, but he honestly said it was really good and tasted like a cannoli.

THE VERDICT:  CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE MINI


I wish I could rave about this sweet little morsel.  First, there was a lack of a graham cracker bottom.  It had melted into the cheesecake.  That kind of disappointed me.  It did have a nice hint of cinnamon, though.  Secondly, there was kind of a lack of that cheesecake bite.  I've eaten some fine cheesecakes in my time, but this wasn't my "style".  I prefer the more adult cheesecake.  The kind of cheesecake that isn't so sweet.  This reminded me more of a no-bake cheesecake.  It was kind of airy and I'll be honest.  It is good in a pinch, but probably something I will not be purchasing further.  The little chocolate ornamentation was pretty cute.  I won't say they're bad.  I ate the whole thing and got my cheesecake fix.  What I am saying is I am pretty positive they use a no-bake recipe because of the lack of carmelization on the top.  The tops of all their cheesecakes were blemish free.  No browning.  There is NOTHING wrong with that.  I just tend to notice that no-bake type recipes use quite a bit more sugar than the baked counterpart.

Overall, we love our local bakery and would recommend it to any of our friends.  They have outstanding cupcakes and are always friendly.  I wasn't really impressed with the cheesecake, but that doesn't really mean you won't like it.  Cheesecakes are made in many different ways.  This just wasn't what I prefer.  Casey really enjoyed the mini cannoli.  It took a small bite and it was good.  If anything, we recommend their cupcakes.  You will not be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment